Thursday, December 4, 2008

Podcasting in the ESL Classroom


Podcasting is something very new to me. I imagine it is a tool new to other people as well (I hope!). But after reading a bit about what podcasts are and how to create them, I'm more open to the possibility of using them in my ESL classroom. I started at the Englishcaster website, where teachers can find English lesson podcasts of all types. From there I found another site, http://www.manythings.org/jokes/ , with ESL podcasts of jokes and songs. Since I'm always thinking of ways to incorporate fun into the classroom, to better motivate my students, I was exploring the various podcasts on this site and thinking of ways to incorporate podcasts of jokes and songs into a lesson.


I would love to try creating podcasts with my students and using the podcasts to monitor the progress of their oral proficiency. First, I would create an activity in which all of my students would be able to listen to podcasts of jokes and songs. Then, I would create an assignment where, with my help, the students would record their own podcasts. They could write a joke in English, or if they are very brave, could choose to sing a song. I could incorporate podcasting activities in the classroom every few weeks to track students' progess. I remember when I was a student in the second language classroom and we had to speak into a tape recorder for the teacher to later listen to and rate our speaking proficiency. Podcasting would have been a lot more fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really want to encourage you to follow through with one of these great ideas. Podcasting is a fantastic way to practice oration and performance. I hadn't thought much about an ESL classroom and podcasting, but it seems the two would marry wonderfully. One idea that comes to mind would be a weekly radio/news show. This would require students to practice writing speeches/scripts and practice orating them using proper diction, tone, etc. Be sure to post one or let me know how it goes. If you need any other ideas or assistance drop me a line at notyouraverageteacher@gmail.com
Great blog!

Jarred

Maryanne said...

Brooke,
Your ideas for using podcasts in the classroom sound intriguing. I'm sure that your sutdents will be motivated to produce good jokes or songs. If possible it would be great to post the resulting podcasts on your blog.
Dr. Burgos