Thursday, September 4, 2008

3 Ways to Use Blogs in the Classroom


1.) One great way to incorporate blogs in your teaching is to use them to access other educational blogs. This will allow you to discuss topics of interest with other educational bloggers and share ideas on teaching methods and techniques. It's also a great way to stay connected with your colleagues and continue your own professional development.

2.) Another way to incorporate blogs in the classroom is to create a blog for each of your classes. You can then post announcements for your students, add homework assignments, and whatever else you think might be useful. Giving your students access to a class blog allows them to ask questions and access class materials and announcements when outside of the classroom. It is also a way to make sure that everyone is up to date on assignments; if you post them on your blog, even students who missed class should be able to be prepared for the next day if they know to check the blog every day for new assignments and announcements.

3.) Third, why not try to give your students some hands-on experience with blogging in the classroom, and allow and encourage them to create their own blogs? It's a great way to get them to write...much more fun than pen and paper! Then you could incorporate elements of technology in your everyday teaching. I think students enjoy using technology in the classroom, and there's no reason why they shouldn't have fun while learning!

6 comments:

Maryanne said...

Brooke,

All great ideas!

I started blogging after retiring teaching 5 classes a day, so I was just wondering what the most time-saving way to handle 5 blogs would be for you. I'm thinking rss feeds or one central blog with links to all the class blogs, but I really don't know. I'm sure it would be useful to check out classroom blogs of other teachers who manage several blogs. If you find or have some good ideas about blog management, please share it in the coffee house forum of the discussion board.

Dr. Burgos

MrJdailey said...

I like what you've suggested here. Interesting!

N. Ernst said...

Brooke,

I completely agree with the fact that students dread writing with the traditional pen and paper. However, they are very familiar with technology and it's something that certainly interests them. Also, I have heard that the shyest of students, who do not say anything in class go crazy with their thoughts, opinions, etc. when they have the opportunity to write via blogging.

Giovanna said...

I definitely agree with letting kids blog in class but in my case that would be a royal treat. Trying to schedule time in the computer lab is virtually impossible since our technology person has not been there in over a year. I would have to stick to blogging from home.

DiamondLyn said...

I've been considering ways to incorporate technology into my everyday classroom activities. After reading about 3 different ways to use blogs in school, I'm interested in seeing how utilizing a blog could work for my class. I am DEFINITELY going to try this out.

Ash said...

I agree that blogging can be useful if monitored. Kids usually love to blog or gossip anyway, especially on other websites. If used correctly I think it can work.